Report of the UGC Review Committee in connection with CPE status - May 2008
The observation of the Committee are as follows:
- St. Xavier's College is one of the oldest
colleges in the country and was established in the
year 1860. The college is located in the heart of
the city of Kolkata.
- The college is housed in a 5 storey-building
encompassing 6 acres of land. The atmosphere is
invigorating and full of activities.
- The college is affiliated to the Calcutta University
and, in fact, is the first college to get autonomy
in the State of West Bengal. The college has been
accredited by NACC in the year 2003, with 'A' grade.
- The college has at the present 5 UG and 2 PG
departments. It offers 7 programmes in the faculty
of arts (B.A. Honours - English (50); Political
Science (50); Sociology (50); B.A. General (30);
each of History, Bengali and Hindi). It also offers
8 programmes in the faculty of science (B.Sc.
Honours (Physics (35), Chemistry (35), Mathematics
(50), Statistics (30), Economics (50), Computer
Science (35), Microbiology (35), Mass Communications
(35); B.Sc. General (35); B.Com Honours (800), B.Com
General (250); B.B.A (60); B.Ed. (100).
- The college also runs PG Courses; namely, M.Sc.
(Computer Sc.) (35); M.Sc. (Physics) (16); M.Com.
(45); M.Sc. (Integrated Biotech.) (35).
- The college has collaborated with other universities
and offers the following courses: 3-year B.Sc.
(Animation) (50) in collaboration with Karnataka
State Open University (KSOU) (through MOU with
toonskool); 2-years M.S. (MOU with Mysore University
and IBM, which is extended to 4 years to recruit
students by IBM) (50).
- The college has 100 members of permanent faculty in
various cadres. It is gratifying to note that 31
teachers have doctoral degrees.
- In addition, the college has employed 50 part-time
faculties to cater to special courses.
- There are 53 non-teaching staff to look after
administration, finances and academic work.
- The college has student strength of over 5000 as of
- The college has a very vibrant alumni association
and the Committee had the pleasure of meeting some
of them. The alumni have excelled in all walks of
life and include some of the most illustrious
- The Department of Physics and Statistics
have done remarkably well in developing new
well-equipped laboratories to support the
programmes which they have undertaken. Both the
departments are identified for research. The
labs have been totally renovated. They have also
an observatory. New books to the physics library
are added through CPE funds. More than 300
computers all connected through Intra-net are in
place, with broadband facilities for 40
computers. Part of funds is utilized for library
and general labs. All 9 teachers of the Physics
Department are Ph.D.s and have published 6
papers in international reputed journals.
- In the Department of Statistics, most of the
teaching is done through the use of computers and
multimedia. The labs are fully equipped. Part of
finances has come from the CPE funds. The teachers
have taken web-enabled teaching. Out of 6 faculty
members, 2 are doctorates.
- The college has applied for distance
learning courses through IGNOU such as (a)
Enhanced Access Programmes (b) Value Added
- Department of Biotechnology of the college has
also initiated a new 5-year Integrated M.Sc. course
in biotechnology and also has made plans for a
course in bioinformatics.
- The college has planned for e-based academic
reforms, database on all students, and made a
plan for Entrepreneurial Resource Planning (ERP).
- The Department of Chemistry has also been well
equipped partly through the CPE funds and mainly
through their own resources.
- A lot of student's magazines have been
published by the BBA, science and humanities
departments of the college, which include
environmental studies, modern trends in
- The college has planned to conduct a 3-day
seminar on 'Healthy Corporate Practices' in October
2008 and a 3-day workshop on 'Counseling and
Personality Development' in May 2009.
- A number of foreign universities have
visited the college to explore possibilities on
collaboration in different areas including space
studies. In the recent past, representatives of
University of Manitoba, Canada; University
Sogang, Korea, and Le Cole Polytechnique, Paris,
Amsterdam University, The Netherlands, and
Boston University, USA have shown interest in
collaborating with the college.
- The Departments of Physics and Computer Science
have worked in tandem to develop a solar power
source for computers in the college and a prototype
model has already been built to test the concept.
- Visits of the Committee were also arranged
to the various laboratories such as Physics,
Statistics, Chemistry, Microbiology, and
Biotechnology. The facilities have been nicely
built for which part of the CPE funds have been
- The Committee also interacted with the faculty
of Commerce (evening shift), Sociology, English,
Economics and Political Science. The concerned
faculty explained to the Committee about the novelty
of their courses.
- The Sociology Department encourages the
students to go to villages, stay with the
villagers and gain practical experience. They
also have planned for web-based interaction.
They have tutorial classes which have helped the
- The Committee also interacted directly with the
students by going to the classrooms, particularly,
Mass Communications, Chemistry, Biotechnology,
Statistics and Education.
- The Committee saw the library which is now
computerized and the students use the library in
large numbers. The departmental libraries are
also kept open for the benefit of the students
during lunch hours.
- The college also undertakes campus recruitments
and renowned companies such Hindustan Unilever,
Mckenzie, HSBC, SBI, Infosys, IBM, Wipro, Satyam,
TVS, Maruti Udyog, etc. have hired their graduates.
The salary packages range over Rs. 1.80 to 7.00
lakhs per annum. These facts demonstrate the
relevance of the newly started courses by the
- The faculty was enthusiastic about the CPE
in general and expected that the performance in
the self-financed courses should be considered
for infrastructure built-up in future.
- The Committee also observed that the funds
released so far have been fully and properly
utilized by the college.
- The Committee is overall impressed by the
performance of the college.
- However, the Committee observed that the
college does not have any connectivity through
the INFLIBNET. Had these facilities been
provided to the college, it would have certainly
helped them to undertake contemporary research.
- The Committee after taking into
consideration all aspects of progress made by
the St. Xavier's College, Kolkata, In
implementing the CPE scheme strongly recommends
that the remaining funds of Rs.50 lacks be
released immediately so that the college is able
to achieve all its set-objectives within the
- The college should be made part of the
INFLIBNET without any delay.
G. D. Yadav
A. N. Sharma
Place: St. Xavier's College, Kolkata
Dated: May 3, 2008