Head of the Department
FROM THE ACADEMIC SESSION 2012 13
From the academic session July 2012-13 St. Xaviers College (Autonomous) is introducing Bengali Honours Course. This is our tribute to Gurudeb Rabindranath Tagore on his 150th birth anniversary. St. Xaviers also completed its 150 years in 2010. St. Xaviers College feels proud in honouring a Xaverian.
Admission procedures will begin along with other courses after the publication of the 10+2 results of the respective boards. Check out for other details on the College website.
Department of Bengali is perhaps the only department which has a very rich past among the minor departments of this college. The prominence of this department comes into forefront because of the activities of our students under the banner of Bengali Literary Society. In that sense we are perhaps the only department of this college where the division of Arts & Science or Commerce makes no difference. We are the department concerned with many students though we are ourselves a minor.
Like other years, in this academic session also we got some students with good potentials and knack for literature, from various departments who took Bangla as their elective subject. The Semester-IV students worked very hard to prepare their project papers, which were appreciated by the experts. Some of them are actively involved in group theaters and short film making.
With the guidance of Sociology Department we are preparing a short introductory course on Bengali language and Culture for the foreign students who are coming in the next semester. The department is helping Father Principal for publishing his book on Brahmabandhab Upadyay in Bangla. An almost forgotten name, a contemporary of Rabindranath Tagore, Brahmabandhab should get recognition for his life and works. Our own Goethals library has his valuable manuscripts and rare collection of his articles. By translating this book of Father Principal, we feel proud to pay homage to a theosophist and prophet in his 150th birth anniversary.
In this year the regular academic activities went on smoothly with the co-operation of the Deans and VP of Arts & Science and the Controller of examinations. Beside that, Department of Comparative Literature of J. U. published a book of Prof. R. Chowdhury on Bengali Literary Historiography and his another book on Jagadish Gupta was also published in the Kolkata Book Fair 2010. Prof. M. Bhattacharya presented a paper in a symposium organized by the research cell of our college.
The department is looking forward towards its future to start a Major Honours Course in Bangla. Father Principal has taken a positive view regarding this proposal and helping us in all possible way. For this we are grateful to him.
Achievements and Departmental ActivitiesAcademic Activities (Professors)
- 20.9.2013 /21. 9. 2013-- Presented a paper : Nabarun Bhattacharyer Kobita:Protibader Bhasha in UGC sponsored National Seminar organized by Bidhannagar Govt. College.
- January 2014 Published an article : Dehobodh O Ak Lekhaker Uponibesh : Jyotirindra Nandir Chotogalpo in the journal Subhasree
- 1. 02. 2014 Joined Sikshadarpan( Journal of School Education and Higher Education Dept, Govt
of West Bengal) , as an asst editor for
six months (Feb July 2014)
- 04. 03. 2014/05. 03. 2014 Attended International Seminar organized by Rabindra Bharati
University on BANGLA NATOK : OIYIHYA O UTTARADHIKAR
Presented a paper on the same seminar named Bibar theke Bibare : Samaresh Basu and Badal Sarkar
- Perticipated and presented a paper in the UGC international seminar organized by Rabindra Bharati
University Bangla Natok : Oitihya O U ttaradhikar. Presented a paper there named Saratchandrer Natok : Ekti Sameeksha on 4th and 5th of March, 2014.
- Submitted pre submission synopsis of the Research work Bangla Atmojibani : Samaje, Srijane O Sahitye in RBU.
- Enrolled for Ph. D course under Calcutta University.
- Perticipated and presented and presented a paper in the international UGC seminar organized by Rabindra Bharati University Bangla Natok : Oitihya o Uttaradhikar . Presented a papar on Natyarupe Meghnad Bod Kabya : Girish theke Goutam
Bengali Department has won the 2nd prize in attendance in college sports, 2014.
Three theatres, Ebong Indrajit, Meghnad Bod Kabya and Laboratory were shown by the departmental teachers.