Prof. Swapan Banerjee
The faculty of commerce enjoys a celebrated status owing to its distinguished teachers, brilliant vibrant enthusiastic students as well as a plethora of academic activities and performances.
The Department of Commerce (Morning) at
St. Xavier's College enjoys a pre-eminent
status for the excellence of its teaching in
this dynamic discipline. It ranks alongside
the most high-rated departments in commerce
among the undergraduate colleges of this
country. Our academic program is of the
highest caliber due to the transformation of
ideas and thoughts into sound practice.
The core emphasis of an interdisciplinary undergraduate education should be on critical thinking and discussion of original texts. This motivates the teaching practice to go beyond traditional methods of teaching. The current dynamic scenario calls for bridging the gap between theory and practice. The collaborative effort of the notable scholars, academics and industry heads from broad disciplines will definitely guarantee the effective industry-academia interface. The Department appreciates the exchange of ideas and knowledge by conducting seminars and workshops on a regular basis. The students are also made aware of the social realities and challenges faced by this country. Our unique and possibly one of its kind "college to village and village to college" (which we call 'Prayas') project was devised to achieve this objective. The foundation course on inter religious studies will surely build up the morale of the students to mutually appreciate and respect each other.
The diverse student structure together with dedicated faculties contributes enormously to sustain the dynamism of the department. Apart from our committed faculty members and support staff, we have a very enthusiastic, vibrant and academically brilliant students. Our students fare very well in their CA and CS exams as well as in all the other competitive entrance exams like CAT, XAT, MAT etc.. They also actively participate in extracurricular activities; attend various national and international feasts organized by premier institutes like Christ University, Loyola College, SRCC etc.
Our emphasis has always been on the overall development of the students keeping in line with our motto "Nihil Ultra". This collaborative effort will necessarily produce men and women for others. Thus, they will emerge as agents of change and transformation.
- The course is designed to meet the following objectives:
- To integrate knowledge and skill that will sustain an environment of learning and creativity.
- To provide for a high quality education in business studies and offer as a platform for those who decide to continue with higher education and research or pursue a professional career after completing graduation.
- To assist to serve the needs of those who intend to work in the business houses or start their own businesses.
- To enable a student to be capable of
making decisions at all levels of
- Fr. J. Felix Raj, S.J. delivered a lecture on, 'Ignatian Spirituality' at the 'Students' Leadership Programme' organised by SWBJCPA during 22nd -26th January, 2016.
- Fr. J. Felix Raj, S.J. delivered the Keynote Address on, 'The Plight of Tribal Communities' on 11th March at the 36th Annual Conference of Bengal Economic Association organized by Kashipur Michael Madhusudan Mahavidyalaya , Purulia during 11th -12th March, 2016.
- Fr. J.Felix Raj, S.J. edited a Book titled, 'Emerging Issues on Inclusive Growth, Business and Environment' published by Regal Publications released on 28th January, 2016 at Xavier Hall of St. Xavier's College (Autonomous) Kolkata by Prof. Amiya Bagchi, Former Director, IDSK.
- Fr. Dominic Savio, S.J. attended a Conference on 'Expanding the Jesuit Education in collaboration for Social Justice' from 9th-14th July, 2015 at Melbourne, Australia.
- Fr. Dominic Savio, S.J. attended the Conference of Bengali Literary Society at Singapore during 5th-7th February, 2016.
- Fr. Dominic Savio, S.J. attended the Rector's Conference at Rome during September, 2016.
- Dr. S.L.Chakraborty edited a book titled, 'Emerging Issues on Inclusive Growth, Business and Environment' published by Regal Publications released on 28th January, 2016 at Xavier Hall of St. Xavier's College (Autonomous) Kolkata by Prof. Amiya Bagchi, Former Director, IDSK.
- Dr. S.L.Chakraborty published a paper titled, 'The Gravity Model of Trade' in the edited book on 'Emerging Issues on Inclusive Growth, Business and Environment', 2016, Regal Publications, ISBN 978-81-8484-566-2.
- Dr. S.L.Chakraborty was the Convener of the Workshop on, 'UGC Sponsored National Workshop on Research Methodology Using SPSS' held on 1st-8th October, 2015, organized by Departments of Commerce and Business Administration of St. Xavier's College (Autonomous) Kolkata.
- Dr Amitava Roy was awarded Ph.D, University of Calcutta in 2016.
- Dr. Saswati Chaudhuri was awarded Ph.D in Economics from University of Calcutta in 2016. Her title of thesis was, "Livelihood Strategies of the Urban Poor : A Study with reference to Kolkata".
- Dr. Saswati Chaudhuri presented a paper titled, "Some Dimensions of Vulnerability: A Study of the Urban Poor with Reference to Kolkata" at the Global Conference on Prosperity, Equality and Sustainability: Perspectives organized by Institute for Human Development and the World Bank , New Delhi during 11th-12th March, 2016.
- Dr. Saswati Chaudhuri presented a paper titled, 'The Vulnerable Poor: An Edgy Existence of the Urban Poor of Kolkata" at the XI Annual International Conference on Public Policy organized by IIM Bangalore during 8th-10th August, 2016.
- Prof. Samrat Roy edited a book titled, 'Emerging Issues on Inclusive Growth, Business and Environment' published by Regal Publications released on 28th January, 2016 at Xavier Hall of St. Xavier's College (Autonomous), Kolkata by Prof. Amiya Bagchi, Former Director, IDSK.
- Prof Samrat Roy acted as a resource person at the Summer School on ,' Applied Econometrics and Statistics' organized by the National Institute of Technology in collaboration with 'The Econometric Society of India (TIES)' during 23rd to 29th May, 2016.
- Dr. Sreemoyee Guha Roy published the following books: 'Role of Microinsurance in Protecting the Poor: A Study in West Bengal' published by Scholar's Press, Microfinance: Roadmap for the Poor, published by CinnamonTeal Publishing and Including Financially The Poor published by Educreation Publishing respectively.
- Dr. Soheli Ghose Banerjee published a book titled, "The Growth and Development of Mutual Funds in India" published by Gyan Books (India) in February 2016.
- Dr. Shivaji Banerjee was nominated as an Associate of Chartered Institute of Marketing, UK. He acted as a Resource person for PhD Coursework classes in Research Methodology at WBUT Kolkata during April May 2016.
- Dr. Shivaji Banerjee published a
book on Visual Merchandising by Research
India Publications. He acted as a
Resource person for training in Human
Resource Management for Technical staff
of Colleges organised by the National
Institute of Technical Teachers training
and Research MHRD-Govt of India. He was
also invited as an expert in the panel
for promotion of Bank probationary
officers at United Bank of India,
Kolkata headquarters in June 2016. He
conducted one day training program for
Marketing Dept executives of James
Warren Tea on Negotiations in the B2B
Markets in June 2016