Head of the Department
The Department of Biotechnology has a total of ten full time faculty members - Prof. Dr. Chandana Barat, Prof. Dr. Uma Siddhanta, Prof. Dr. Sudipa Saha, Prof. Dr. Aniruddha Banerji (HOD), Prof. Dr. Jhimli Dasgupta, Prof. Dr. Dipankar Chakraborti, Prof. Dr. Aryadeep Roy Choudhury, Prof. Dr. Ronita Nag Chaudhuri, Prof. Dr. Priyanka De and Prof. Souvik Roy. The department, since its inception, emphasizes on both teaching and research with the faculty members striving to strike a perfect balance between academics, research and teaching.
The department attracts meritorious students who are extremely committed and intelligent. Not only are they excellent in academics, they are at the forefront in extracurricular activities as well, representing the college in the field of sports and performing arts. Every year, many students qualify national level competitive examinations including CSIR-UGC National Eligibility Test (NET), DBT-BET and GATE. Students also attend and present papers at seminars and workshops at various institutes both in Kolkata and in other parts of India.
The faculty members of the department are actively involved in research with a number of research projects from various funding agencies currently running in the department. Currently 16 research scholars are completing their Ph. D under the guidance of the faculty members. The University of Calcutta has approved the Regulations for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy, (Ph. D) under St. Xavier's College (Autonomous) to be awarded for Biotechnology in 2015. At present a number of scholars are registered under this programme and the faculty members along with their research scholars are excelling in this programme. The faculty members also publish a number of articles in international and national peer-reviewed journals every year and present their findings at national and international conferences.
The department organizes an annual national seminar Frontiers in Biotechnology. Frontiers in Biotechnology, Chapter II was held on 27th October, 2017 with the focal theme "At the Crossroads of Academia and Medicine". The seminar was inaugurated by Rev. Fr. Dr. Dominic Savio SJ, Rector, St. Xavier's College (Autonomous), Kolkata and included lectures by eminent speakers like Prof. Maitrayee Das Gupta (Dept. of Biochemistry, University of Calcutta), Dr. Anuradha Bhat (Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Kolkata), Dr. Kunal Sarkar (Senior Vice Chairman, Director & Head of Cardiac Surgery, Medica Superspecialty Hospital, Kolkata) and Dr. Chaitali Dutta Roy (Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education & Research, Kolkata). The seminar also included a poster session where faculties, research scholars and students presented posters based on their research work. Several universities, colleges and research institutes participated in the seminar. The 8th edition of the annual departmental magazine, Chiasma was also released on this occasion.
The Integrated M. Sc Course in Biotechnology was initiated in July 2006. The Post Graduate Programme in Biotechnology (Integrated M. Sc) is for the duration of five years (divided into ten semesters) on completion of which a certificate of Master's Degree in Biotechnology is provided. The course is delivered in the form of formal lectures, practical classes and discussions of recent scientific literature. The visual mode of instruction is liberally used, with powerpoint presentations being used to impart knowledge. As in the study of any science, practicals are of utmost importance. Laboratory visits are organized for providing students with exposure to current biotechnological procedures. Field trips provide students with opportunities to study animal and plant biology. The students of the final semester (Semester X) go for a four month project in reputed universities/ institutes to gather hands-on training on advanced research techniques in various fields of modern biological science.
The course intends to:
- equip students with theoretical and practical understanding of contemporary Biology and Biotechnology such that they can contribute to the frontier areas in Biotechnology.
- generate adequate human resources trained in the multi-disciplinary field of Biotechnology to meet the requirement of trained personnel for the promotion of Biotechnology in India as well as abroad.
The CBCS curriculum has been introduced
from July 2018.
Achievement of the Students:
The academic performance of our students has been brilliant. Every year, many of our students qualify competitive examinations at the national level including CSIR-UGC National Eligibility Test (NET), DBT-BET and GATE (Life Sciences).
|Batch||Competitive Examinations Qualified|
|2006-11||CSIR-NET: 11, UGC-NET: 5, LS-NET: 2, DBT-NET: 11, GATE: 16|
|2007-12||CSIR-NET: 9, UGC-NET: 5, LS-NET: 2|
|2008-13||CSIR-NET: 5, UGC-NET: 4, LS-NET: 7, DBT-NET: 2, ICMR-NET: 1, GATE: 7|
|2009-14||CSIR-NET: 5, UGC-NET: 2, LS-NET: 4, DBT-NET: 5, GATE: 8|
|2010-15||CSIR-NET: 6, UGC-NET: 4, LS-NET: 3|
|2011-16||CSIR-NET: 8, UGC-NET: 3, LS-NET: 1, DBT-NET: 5, GATE: 8|
|2012-17||CSIR-NET: 5, UGC-NET: 7, LS-NET: 5, DBT-BET: 6, GATE (Life Science): 6|
|2013-18||CSIR-NET: 6, LS-NET: 3, DBT-BET: 3, GATE (Life Science): 3|
Note: many students qualified in multiple examinations.
Our students have been selected for various scholarships/ awards, some of which are listed below:
- CSIR Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Fellowship
- Khorana Program for Scholars
- Summer Research Fellowships of Indian Academy of Sciences
- Summer-Undergraduate Research & Graduate Excellence programme, IIT-Kanpur
Our students pursue their research at various institutes of national repute including:
- University of Calcutta (Kolkata)
- National Institute of Cholera and Enteric Diseases (Kolkata)
- Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (Kolkata)
- Bose Institute (Kolkata)
- Indian Institute of Chemical Biology (Kolkata)
- SSKM Hospital (Kolkata)
- Indian Statistical Institute (Kolkata)
- St. Xavier's College (Autonomous), Kolkata
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (Kolkata, Pune, Bhopal etc.)
- National Centre for Biological Sciences (Bangalore)
- National Institute of Immunology (New Delhi)
- Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics (Hyderabad)
- Indian Institute of Science (Bangalore)
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (Mumbai)
- Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (Bangalore)
- IIT, Kharagpur
- National Centre for Cell Sciences (Pune)
Many of our students are pursuing further studies/ research in various reputed institutes abroad such as:
- University of Michigan, USA
- University of Texas, USA
- University of Maryland, USA
- University of Georgia, USA
- University of Alabama, USA
- University of Illinois, USA
- Pennsylvania State University, USA
- Indiana University Bloomington, USA
- Nebraska Medical Centre, USA
- Arkansas Medical School, USA
- Drexel University USA
- King's College, London
Our students have distinguished themselves by participating in and presenting papers at national and international seminars both in Kolkata and in other parts of India. Some of the seminars where they have presented papers/ posters over the last few years include:
- Frontiers in Modern Biology, Dept. of Biological Sciences, IISER Kolkata
- BioScope 2k18, Zoological Society, Kolkata
- International Conference on Ecotoxicology & Environmental Science NSIT, New Delhi
- International Conference on Stem Cells & Cancer, Pune
- International Conference on Biotechnology and Bioinformatics, Pune
- Frontiers in Biotechnology, St. Xavier's College (Autonomous), Kolkata
- Frontiers in Biological Sciences, St. Xavier's College (Autonomous), Kolkata
- Modern Trends in Microbiology, St. Xavier's College (Autonomous), Kolkata
- Sigma, St. Xavier's College (Autonomous), Kolkata
- Analytica, St. Xavier's College