Applications are invited for admission to the Ph.D. program in the Departments of (Physics/Microbiology/Biotechnology/Commerce), St. Xavier's College (Autonomous), Kolkata, affiliated to the University of Calcutta, in the prescribed proforma downloadable from the College website at www.sxccal.edu.
Download application form. Click here...
Filled in application form together with
an application fee of Rs.500/- , to be paid
by draft drawn in favour of "ST. XAVIER'S
COLLEGE" payable at Kolkata, is to be
submitted to the Ph.D. office at the College
- Application for PhD program
including that for the Research Entrance
Test (RET) with SoP to be submitted by:
May 3rd, 2017 (Wednesday) along with a
draft of Rs. 500/- and a photo identity
card (Passport/Aadhar/PAN) at the RET
Timings: Mon-Fri: 10am - 3pm and Sat: 10am - 12 noon.
- Date of RET Examination: May 12th, 2017 (Friday), 12.00 Noon in the R.K.Hall, St. Xavier's College
- Date of Publication of RET Result: May 16th, 2017 (Tuesday)
- Date of Interview: 20.5.2017, (Saturday) from 10.00.A.M.in the R.K.Hall, St. Xavier's College
(M.Sc/M.Com) in (Physics/Microbiology/Biotechnology/Commerce)
- Candidates with at least 55% marks in (Physics/Microbiology/Biotechnology/Commerce) at the (M.Sc./M.com.) level from the College or from any other UGC recognized university are eligible to take the examination.
- The candidate has to have either cleared UGC/CSIR (JRF) Examinations / NET / SET / SLET /GATE or have obtained DST INSPIRE Fellowship or passed the M.D/ M.Pharm./ M.Phil. (from any recognized university with 2-semester/ 1-year course work) or has to qualify in the research entrance test (RET) conducted by the department.
- Those who are expected to obtain M.Phil. in (Physics/Microbiology/Biotechnology/Commerce) from any UGC recognized university by August 31, 2017 would also be exempted from RET and be eligible to appear directly in the interview.
- The students who have cleared UGC/CSIR
(JRF) Examinations / NET / SET / SLET
/GATE or have obtained DST INSPIRE
Fellowship or passed the M.Phil./ M.D/
M.Pharm or equivalent examination would
be exempted from the written
examination. They may directly submit a
statement of purpose (SoP) indicating
the area of research interest (not
exceeding 1000 words) and appear in the
- The Research Eligibility Test (RET) of 100 marks for the suitable candidates will be held once in a year and the qualifying marks will be fixed at 50%.
- The RET syllabus for every department is available in the corresponding department site.
- The maximum number of candidates
enrolled this year (2017) depending on
their success at the written examination
and interview will be in:
Physics: Eight (8)
Prof. Tapati Dutta-(2) Soft Matter , Statistical Physics, Fractional Calculus
Prof. Sarbari Guha (3) Cosmology, General Relativity, Relativistic Astrophysics
Prof. Shubhankar Ghosh (1) Experimental Condensed Matter Physics
Prof. Suparna Roy Choudhury (1) Astrophysics and Cosmology
Prof. Shibaji Banerjee (1) Astro-particle Physics and Cosmology
Microbiology: Three (3)
Prof. Madhumita Moitra (1)-Bioremediation, microbial contamination of food materials, biodiversity studies
Prof. Sudeshna Shyam Choudhury (1)-Phytochemical analysis of Tea
Prof. Fr.S.Xavier (1)- Environmental management and Ecotourism
Biotechnology: Four (4)
Prof: Jhimli Dasgupta (3) - Structural Biology (against projects)
Prof. Chandana Barat (1) - Ribosome associated protein folding (against project)
Commerce: Eight (8)
Prof. Shivaji Banerjee (1) - Management
Prof. Soheli Ghosh (1)- Accounting and Finance
Prof. Sumana Guha (1)- Management
Prof. Samrat Roy (1)- Finance
Prof. Sreemoyee Guha Roy (1)- Accounting and Finance
Prof. Sumona Ghosh (1)- Management/Accounting
Prof. Sanjib Basu (2)- Accounting and Finance
Structure of the Examination:
- Only multiple choice questions.
- The details of the syllabus is available in the College Website under the corresponding Department's RET Syllabus.
- The eligible candidates identified through RET/ NET/ SET/ MPhil, will have to submit statement of purpose (SoP) indicating the area of research interest (not exceeding 1000 words) on which a final interview will be conducted.
- The SoP has to be submitted at the time of application itself.
- Those who are expected to obtain M.Sc./M.Com.in (Physics / Microbiology / Biotechnology / Commerce) from any UGC recognized university by August 31, 2017 would also be eligible to apply for RET. However, the final selection of these candidates would be contingent on their obtaining at least 55% of marks in aggregate in their M.Sc./M.Com.examination from the College, or any other UGC recognizeduniversity.
- The list of finally selected candidates would be posted in the Departmental Notice Board and in the College website.