Course Name: B.Ed. [Bachelor in
Course Duration: 24 months (Two Academic Years July to June divided into four Semesters I, II, III, IV)
Class Hours: 9:15 A.M. - 4:45 P.M.
Brief History of the department
The history of Education Department of St. Xavier's College goes way back to the year 1940. However, it was in the session 1961-62 that the training of teachers through the Department began in a full fledged way. The Department being a part of St. Xavier's College, which was then one of the colleges under Calcutta University also functioned under the parent university. From 6th March 2006 St. Xavier's College was declared as an Autonomous College by the University Grants Commission and Calcutta University. Since then we have been functioning as a department under this Autonomous College.
- To make the course professional and practical
- To bring about effective integration of different units of knowledge and corresponding training essentials for future teachers.
- To make the trainee teachers competent to meet the social, academic and national needs.
- To develop in the trainee teachers a positive attitude towards life in general and teaching in particular.
- To bring about all round development of trainee teachers to meet the challenges of the modern era.
- To inculcate in the trainee teachers a sense of discipline, develop their moral values and awaken in them a thirst for knowledge.
- To motivate the trainee teachers to inspire and guide the future generations.
- To equip the trainee teachers with the skills needed in the age of Globalization, Liberalization and Privatization.
Major Thrust Areas
The education and training of teachers in the development of knowledge, cultivation of positive attitudes and equipping them with skills in this era of globalization, liberalization and privatization.