The advent of technological innovations in applied research across globe acts as a catalyst to equip students, researchers, faculties and interested delegates with a hands-on environment to examine the principles of market structure and learn the software programs which drive the financial marketplace.
With a mission of supporting advanced applied research in financial markets, St. Xavier’s College (Autonomous) Kolkata had set up a state-of-the-art Finance Laboratory, called Financial Research & Trading Lab, popularly known as ‘Finance Lab’.
On this auspicious day of 3rd December,2019, St. Xavier’s College(Autonomous) Kolkata had inaugurated Finance Lab.. Being the first of its kind, the Finance lab will open new doors to the students, research scholars and faculty members for conducting high end research.
Objectives of Finance Lab
- The Lab will provide students hands-on data analysis and modelling experience through access to real time national and international financial data, market information, business news and cutting edge financial analysis software.
- The Lab will provide students hands-on data analysis and modelling experience through access to real time national and international financial data, market information, business news and cutting edge financial analysis software. The Lab will provide students hands-on data analysis and modelling experience through access to real time national and international financial data, market information, business news and cutting edge financial analysis software.
- To support and enhance academic research with the availability of extensive historical and real time data.
- The Lab will provide opportunities for collaborative research and teaching with other functional disciplines
- The Lab would provide short-term training programmes in contemporary issues in finance such as market pricing, asset liability management, risk management, trading strategies, market microstructure and structured products.
- To strengthen the fundamentals in applied Finance and Quantitative areas.
Targeted users of Finance Lab
- The Finance Lab will provide a simulated real-life trading experience using real time data feed from different stock exchanges where the hands on experience of hedging, speculation and arbitrage strategies and investment and portfolio management strategies can be facilitated. This endeavour will be constructive to attract industry delegates mainly comprising of financial analysts and managers.
- The highly specialized finance lab is targeted to researchers mainly in the field of finance, economics and quantitative techniques. The training programmes are expected to impart analytical and empirical skills related to the usage of high end databases like Prowess, Ace Equity, Capital Line, India stat and Bloomberg.
- The Lab will bridge the gap between theory and practice. The sophisticated tools of research will foster in-depth data analysis for research and consultancy. The Finance lab will be a strong platform for enhancing the activities of the Consultancy cell of St. Xavier’s College.
- The Finance Lab will give an opportunity to students, faculty and researchers to test financial models with live financial information from all the major sources from around the world namely NSE, BSE, MCX, NCDEX, Bloomberg, etc.
- The Finance lab will give a boost to the different business oriented courses and will trigger the skills to think independently for creating innovative financial products and services in the dynamic and highly competitive financial environment.
Resources at Finance Lab
- The highly sophisticated Finance lab is equipped with trading exchange simulator with real time data feed from different stock exchanges like National Stock Exchange, BSE and others.
- The lab will provide access to updated databases like Prowess, Inflibnet, India stat and Economic Outlook.
- The softwares will comprise of SPSS, Eviews, R Software, Python and Mat Lab.
- The basic infrastructural facilities will include PC based Work stations, Simple projection system , LED screens, Single room format, Web based.