Brief History of the Department
The history of Education Department of St. Xavier’s College goes way back to the year 1940. However, it was in
the session 1961-62 that the training of teachers through the Department began in a full fledged way. The
Department being a part of St. Xavier’s College, which was then one of the colleges under Calcutta University
also functioned under the parent university. From 6th March 2006 St. Xavier’s College was declared as an
Autonomous College by the University Grants Commission and Calcutta University. Since then we have been
functioning as a department under this Autonomous College.